Nov 01 2009

No Action Sprint Cup Auto Racing

That is what Nascar has become, No Action Sprint Cup Auto Racing. Has anyone ever watched a more boring race at Talladega? I don’t think so. Now, I’m not just talking about the wrecks, Ryan Newman had a pretty scary flip and wreck, I’m talking about the lack of racing. How long did they race single file tonight? I’m not sure, but I found myself doing other stuff and not just watching the race. They may as well just run 20 laps and call it a race. Nascar is going to make it easy for me to quit watching the race when Jeff Gordon retires, and I’ll be able to go back to watching the NFL like I used to every Sunday.

Oh, and the Chase is pretty much over now, it looked like it was really going to tighten up, until the end when Ryan flipped his car and they red flagged it, cars were running out of gas, Johnson and them topped off first because they were in the back, so they benefitted with all the cars running out of gas, and then the second wreck made sure no one else was going to pass him. Johnson finished 6th, ahead of Martin and Gordon instead of finishing 26th and losing a bunch of points to everyone. They may as well rename this Chase for the Cup to the Chase for the Johnson.

Here is how they finished:
1 22 26 Jamie McMurray Ford Irwin Marathon Saw Blades 195/10 191 Running
2 11 9 Kasey Kahne Dodge Budweiser 175/5 191 Running
3 20 20 Joey Logano Toyota Home Depot 170/5 191 Running
4 8 16 Greg Biffle Ford 3M Filtrete 160/0 191 Running
5 18 31 Jeff Burton Chevrolet Caterpillar 160/5 191 Running
6 1 48 Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet Lowe’s 150/0 191 Running
7 33 55 Michael Waltrip Toyota NAPA Auto Parts 151/5 191 Running
8 36 09 Brad Keselowski Chevrolet Miccosukee Resort & Gaming 147/5 191 Running
9 26 19 Elliott Sadler Ford Stanley 143/5 191 Running
10 37 171 Bobby Labonte Chevrolet TaxSlayer.com 134/0 191 Running
11 24 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet Amp Energy “Get on the 88″ / National Guard 135/5 191 Running
12 15 33 Clint Bowyer Chevrolet BB&T 127/0 191 Running
28 2 5 Mark Martin Chevrolet Pop-Tarts / Carquest 84/5 190 Accident
29 42 113 Max Papis Toyota GEICO 76/0 190 Running
30 6 2 Kurt Busch Dodge Miller Lite 78/5 189 Accident
31 23 1 Martin Truex Jr. Chevrolet Bass Pro Shops / Tracker 75/5 189 Accident
32 34 7 Robby Gordon Toyota Jim Beam 72/5 189 Accident
33 25 44 A.J. Allmendinger Dodge Hunt Brothers Pizza 64/0 189 Running
34 17 47 Marcos Ambrose Toyota Clorox / Kingsford / Little Debbie 66/5 188 Running
35 4 14 Tony Stewart Chevrolet Office Depot / Old Spice 63/5 183 Accident
36 7 39 Ryan Newman Chevrolet U.S. Army 60/5 183 Accident
37 31 96 Erik Darnell Ford Academy Sports + Outdoors 52/0 167 Running
38 9 11 Denny Hamlin Toyota FedEx Express 54/5 137 Engine
39 43 78 Regan Smith Chevrolet Furniture Row Companies 46/0 99 Engine
40 27 77 Sam Hornish Jr. Dodge Mobil 1 43/0 44 Engine
41 40 66 Dave Blaney Toyota Prism Motorsports 40/0 12 Vibration
42 32 98 Paul Menard Ford Zecol / Menards 37/0 4 Accident
43 39 187 Joe Nemechek Toyota NEMCO Motorsports 34/0 4 Accident

Here are the standings in the Chase:
1 — Jimmie Johnson 6248 Leader
2 — Mark Martin 6064 -184
3 — Jeff Gordon 6056 -192
4 +1 Juan Montoya 6009 -239
5 -1 Tony Stewart 5969 -279
6 — Kurt Busch 5936 -312
7 +1 Greg Biffle 5908 -340
8 -1 Ryan Newman 5846 -402
9 +2 Kasey Kahne 5834 -414
10 — Carl Edwards 5811 -437
11 -2 Denny Hamlin 5800 -448
12 — Brian Vickers 5697 -551

11 Comments

• By Karleen, November 1, 2009 @ 11:33 pm

This Talladage race was the worst I have ever seen. way to go nascar this was the most boring and rediculous race i have ever see. Lets keep kissing Jimmy johnsons ass. i can see a log of brown mouths so pucker up. this chase really sucks!!!!!!

• By Robert Johnston, November 2, 2009 @ 11:24 am

Is there anyone out there in NASCAR land with computer graphics that can come up with an old ROLLER DERBY video and modify it to NASCAR standards, complete with Hendricks Motorsports Team blocking all the rivals and the other teams doing the “whip” to break through the blocking? I can just picture Dave Despain showing 48, 5, 24, 88, 14 and 39, in their respective uniform livery going around the rink blocking everyone else.

Make no mistake, Mr. Martin is my neighbor and I have the greatest of respect for ALL drivers and their integrity and talent but NASCAR has turned this form of racing into a Roller Derby event where NASCAR picks winners by applying and making up rules as they see fit.

Put those guys on rain tires and let ‘em go!

• By Jaime, November 2, 2009 @ 11:34 am

THIS SUCKS!!! NASCAR REALLY SCREWED UP THIS TIME…YOU JUST LOST A FAN!!

• By Terry, November 2, 2009 @ 11:37 am

I say the heck with Daytona and Talledega if that’s what we are going to see. Bring North Wilksborough and Rockingham back they had much better racing!

• By Terry, November 2, 2009 @ 11:43 am

What’s even worse than that race were all the announcers (who are obviuosly in NASCAR’s pocket) and their lame excuses. Either fix the problem or loose the tracks NASCAR. It won’t happen until they get the wanks with no education off the air and out of the sport. Larry Mac and Kenny Wallace make me wnat to puke eeytime they open their mouths!

• By webmaster, November 2, 2009 @ 6:53 pm

I agree Terry, on switching the races to more interesting tracks where there is actual racing during the whole race, and most announcers suck, the best ones have been on recently with Dale Jarrett and Andy.

• By Brahma Bull, November 4, 2009 @ 4:34 am

Yeah Buddy,think NASCAR has done shot itself in the foot.Glad I didn’t go to Dega now,been a long trip for a very boring race.Wonder if it’s about time to start a new stockcar association or has that already been tried?NASCAR has gotten too big for itself,it is it’s worst enemy.Jimmy Johnson again?Makes me want to puke.Keep going the way NASCAR is going,fans will drop like a dead fly.Lost interest,lost taste,boring and dull to watch.Nothing can save NASCAR.I hope it does the same as GM now.Goverment run stockcar racing,
    that should be a barrel of laughs and really work.
    LOL NASCAR.

• By Tom was a fan, November 4, 2009 @ 12:00 pm

I have loved the Talledega track since I started watching and following NASCAR in 1969. Although we never got to see a lot of racing on TV, back in those days, the rare races we did see were incredibly exiting. Bobbie Issac, David Pearson, Richard Petty, the Allisons, the drafting, “sling-shot” passing and lack of running into people for track position was great to watch.

The racing today at Talledega is nothing short of a waste of time. If they cannot put fencing up to protect the fans, provide some additional airborne defenses on the cars, and get rid of those ridiculous restrictor plates, then NASCAR might as well shut the track down.

In my humble opinion, NASCAR has too much loyalty to GM, Hendricks, their poster child Dale Earnhardt Jr, et al, and shows too much bias in their favor. You have to wonder why Ford and Dodge are even in the game anymore. It is no wonder Richard Petty Motorsports is moving their loyalty to Ford next year. I give Roush, Yates, and in part, the Toyota teams credit for staying with their products in a fight that keeps one hand tied behind their backs.

As far as points and the chase. As long as Hendricks can go through the motions during the year and stay in the top 12, you can expect Jimmy Johnson to win his fifth Cup championship next year.

When I watch the Speed Channel and listen to Chad-the-cheat-Knaus, Larry-Mc-Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-Reynolds and the others kissing NASCAR’s behind I want to find something else to watch, and generally do. And don’t get me started on Sirius Radio’s NASCAR broadcasts during the week.

I have watched the sport of forty years. It has become a huge disappointment.

• By Sam, November 15, 2009 @ 4:03 pm

Jimmie 4 in Row !!!! NASCAR NO MORE!!!!! I’M DONE

• By Julesian, November 20, 2009 @ 9:58 am

Hey, read your blog and most of the comments. I agree with some of the people but not all. Talladega has always been my favorite race until recently. The below the yellow rule is dumb. Tony Stewart won one of the Dega races by forcing another car to go under the line. Fast forward to next race and Brian K didn’t give an inch, result big wreck. Next race same scenario. I agree with what Edwards said ” maybe when someone gets killed, they will change it” JR

• By 170288, December 7, 2010 @ 4:46 pm